When you begin a new diet, it is tempting to reach for processed foods that quickly substitute for the look and taste of the old favourites.
The complications / drawbacks of processed foods include:
- processed foods may deliver an abundance of calories. Calories do not guarantee nutrients (ie. the vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, antioxidants, enzymes… all needed for health, repair, energy…
- even “health foods” may contain synthetic vitamins and minerals, high fructose corn syrup, protein powders, … foods that did not exist for our grandmothers;
- using synthetic vitamins and minerals to replace those refined out in processing, discounts the synergy of vitamins and minerals as they are naturally present in whole, fresh food;
- processed foods displace whole foods;
- when our bodies do not get the right nutrition ie. for immunity, for brain function, for GI function, for repair, for growth… we may crave and so snack more than we should;
- all the multiple ingredients in each processed food need to be considered for their effects;
- processed foods may include entirely new ingredients to your diet (ie. tapioca,potato starch, sorghum are widely used in gluten-free or grain-free foods). Repetitive use may lead to new food sensitivities;
- nutritional effects of the processing methods (microwaving, food colouring, synthetic additives, preservatives, flash freezing, high heat);
- hidden ingredients including cross-contaminations (ie. wheat, nuts…);
- genetic modification (GMO): a high percentage of corn, soy, sugar(non-organic), and canola are genetically modified (ie. genetic material is altered from the naturally occurring state). These foods may find their way into processed foods.
- cost vs. nutritional benefit of the processed foods.
Building wellness may be best supported by the superior nutrition of eating whole foods close to nature, preferably organic (grown in nutrient rich soil), with their “complete package” of multiple vitamins, minerals, enzymes, fibre, antioxidants…. A four day rotation diet compels eating whole foods, and reduces exposure to all foods to every 4 days, which may lessen the likelihood of sensitivities.
Introduce processed foods preferably in small quantities, and only after a period of settling into a healthful whole foods diet and building wellbeing.
The Rotation Diet Plus©Software helps to manage complex diets.